Monday, June 18, 2012

Soooo far behind....sorry!

So I'm just gonna go with what I learned at 2 years old to try and catch up: take it one step at a time.

Sunday June 10th

Mass at the St. Mary's Cathedral in Sydney was an odd mixture of relief, shivering, traditionalism, and beauty.  Relief because we made it on time even after sitting in traffic for about thirty minutes.  Shivering because its getting on in Winter here and the Cathedral was freezing (I could definitely see my breath at one point!)  Traditional because I felt transported back in time to before Vatican II with the copious amounts of incense, the numerous priests, the latin hyms, and most significantly the celebrant having his back to the congregation for the consecration.  Finally, the Cathedral itself was beautiful and I made sure to have a look around after the end of mass.  Adding to the physical beauty was the amazing singing from the choir.  Most of it was in latin which I thought was a little unfortunate because it made it nearly impossible to join in but it was absolutely magnificent all the same.

Later in the afternoon, Em and I went with Laura and Rachel to a backyard gig highlighted by an up and coming local band.  It was a rather wet afternoon which is a bit of an understatement but the music was really good and it was a nice kinda chillaxing afternoon.  After some down time and dinner back at the Vaccari's, Sim, Gulian, Laura and I braved the torrents of rain to go see The Way at a local cinema.  Really good movie, if you get the chance, I would highly recommend it. El camino de Santiago... hmmm maybe another trip coming up?  just kidding mom...and Natalie ;-)   Martin Sheen's character learns to take the words of his late son to heart when he says, "You don't choose a life, you live one."


Here's to living life.

No comments:

Post a Comment