Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Another day, another Dominican

Thursday June 13th

In the morning, I made it all by myself to Lewisham walking to the train station and taking the train.  (aren't I getting all growed up).  There I met a Dominican, Brother Frank, who brought me over to the St. Vincent De Paul Society Centre to work with Men's Shed for the morning.  Men's Shed works to give older gentlemen programs to stay active, give support to one another, and an avenue for them to give back to the community.  Once at the Vinnie's Centre, we went straight to the Wood workshop where 5 of the guys were restoring furniture.  I got to work on an old dining room chair with Br Frank which when finished will go to the Vinnie's Thrift Store to be sold.  It was nice to be able to do some work with my hands.  It reminded me a lot of the work I have done with Habitat for Humanity.  The morning was full of hard work, joking, advice, and storytelling.

Before running off, Brother Frank also gave me a tour of the complex which has many different social outreach programs centered there.  I also saw the van that later next week we will be taking out for Night Patrol (a program for helping the Homeless).  Back to Santa Sabina we went where I was just in time to attend the Wisdom Mass celebrating ten years of the Santa Sabina Middle School.  It is very nice to be able to attend some daily masses, they never fail to refocus me.  From there Em and I went off to the airport in order to fly up to Cairns for some snorkeling and other such fun in the sun.  Tourist Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment