Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Community Matters

In my 9 days in Australia I have noticed one thing more than any other: Community is key.  After noticing this I realized that wherever I look in my own life I see loving communities.  Starting with my immediate family, to my extended families, from the LOG community in Catonsville, to the PC community, now to my adopted family, the Vaccaris, I realize i have been genuinely blessed in my life.  In the past three days especially, this idea has been in full view for me.

First, on Monday, Emily and I took the train to St. Lucy's School which started as a school for the visually impaired but now enrolls over 160 students with disabilities.  After having morning tea with the Principal, I was brought to the matisse class taught by Ed Hayes and pretty much just thrown right in.  I quickly got to know the kids in the class and how they relied on their unique community.  For example, Paddy Busch showed me around the playground and then made a beeline for his best friend Luca who was waiting for him sitting on a bench.  Luca, a blind student, was so excited to have Paddy there and they gave each other a big hug.  That and all the other interactions I witnessed made me understand how important playing and learning together is for the community at St. Lucy's.

Second, on Tuesday, I took a trip to Blacktowne to visit an Aged care facility run by Dominican sisters from Malta.  There I got to see how the sisters did everything in their power to make the 50 residents feel at home.  Sister Georgina pointed out to me a library that was for the retired priest living there to arrange his books, and the raised gardens for the ladies that wanted to grow a few vegetables, and the sewing machine that was in the common room for one of the residents to use even though it wouldn't fit in her room.  These extra allowances and thoughtful actions are what showed me what a loving community the residents are in at St. Dominic's Hostel.  The icing on the cake was when Sister and I talked to Norma, the longest tenured resident at 21 years. I listened as Sister asked Norma to tell one of her librarian stories.  It seems like a little thing but the fact that Sister knew about Norma's life before the hostel and wanted to hear about it meant the world to Norma.  Then, as we are chatting an elderly gentleman comes up and starts talking to Norma and he kinda flirts with her and she explains that they are good friends.  It was just heart warming to see the community that all the residents get to experience.

Third, today I went to the John Paul II institute at the University of Sydney.  It is basically just a place where students can come and take a break from their studies and hang out with each other in a place that celebrates their faith.  It was really cool to see everyone hanging out, talking about classes, the church, politics, etc, or just playing pool together.  There was such a funloving and welcoming attitude that I felt completely comfortable even though I had just met basically everyone there.  I realized from this visit that a community should build you up through challenging you in conversation, encouraging right action, and giving unconditional love.

That's a little more of what I've been up to.  Thanks for putting up with my musings.  I'd also like to give a very heartfelt than you to everyone who is a part of one of my communities, know that I cherish everything you bring and everything you do to make those communities what they are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment